x Michael Ablan Law Firm LLC

What You Should Do

The most important thing that you can do is diligently pursue your healthcare provider’s recommendations, even if you do not have health insurance. Next you need to gather information. Here is a list of what we recommend needs to get done:

1. You should photograph your visible injuries and their progress.

2. Photograph the damage to your vehicle; if your vehicle was towed, gather the name of the towing company, as the vehicle may need to be viewed. You need to do this even if you settled the property damage claim with your insurance company. The extent of damage is critical to reconstruction of the accident.

3. Record, as best as you can all other pertinent names, addresses, insurances, and types of vehicles.

4. Write down all of your health insurance and automobile insurance policy numbers.

5. Note the date and time and location of the accident and get the accident report.

6.Consult legal counsel before speaking with the other insurance companies.

Unless you are absolutely sure that you want to settle the case, you should not accept any payment unless it is clear that it is not a settlement of the case and you should not sign any type of release of responsibility. This will almost always bar future recovery. We highly recommend that you contact our office first.

If you call for a free consultation or e-mail us for some free advice, here is a list of some of the questions you should be prepared to answer.

Personal Injury Client Questionnaire

Please prepare to answer the following questions:

1. When did the incident happen?
2. How did the incident happen?
3. Where did the incident happen?
4. What injuries were sustained in the incident?
5. How do you feel at this point?
6. Were there any witnesses and if so, what are there names and addresses?
7. What medical facility and/or doctors treated you?
8.Do you have any insurance that may relate to this incident such a health, auto, homeowners, or uninsured motorist coverage?
9.Have you contacted any of the above insurance companies? If so, what is the name of the contact person?
10. Where is the automobile, product, or object that caused the injury?
11. Have any pictures been taken and if so, by whom were they taken?
12. Have you contacted any other attorneys up to this point?
13. How did you obtain our name?
14. Have you been contacted by an insurance adjuster and if so, provide the name and the phone number.
15. Did you give a taped interview or other statement to the sheriff or police department or to the insurance company? Briefly describe.

When Should Things Be Done

All states have a statute of limitations. A statute of limitations is a law which places a time limit on pursuing a legal remedy. After the expiration of the statutory period, unless a legal exception applies, the injured person loses the right to file a lawsuit seeking money damages or other relief.

Generally, court proceedings for injury cases caused by negligence in Wisconsin must be commenced within 3 years of the date of the accident, or the injured person will lose the right to bring their claim. If the case involves intentional infliction of injury, it is generally two years. However, if the injured party was under the age of 18 at the time of the accident, then the commencement of counting time is expanded until the person reaches majority.

In Minnesota, the statute of limitations for personal injury claims is six years for injury arising from negligent conduct. Most personal injury resulting from intentional misconduct is 2 years. Defective Product Liability is 4 years.

In rare occasions, the suit must be started even though the client has not reached maximum medical recovery. I will explain more on that below. First, I will provide a summary of automobile accidents and insurance.

Click here to download a brochure on Personal Injury from the State Bar of Wisconsin

If you or a loved one have been injured in an accident and if you are looking for an experienced personal injury lawyer to maximize the remedies that you have available to you and to reach the highest possible award for your injuries or if you wish to compromise, negotiate, or effectively deal with either your insurance company or the adverse insurance company we, the Michael Ablan Law Firm can help you. We have been serving injured clients since 1974. With an experienced and aggressive yet honest, trustworthy and friendly legal team consisting of a lawyer with 35 years of experience, specialized paralegals, and a tax accountant, the Michael Ablan Law Firm in La Crosse, WI can help you. We also have offices in La Crescent, Minnesota and Hayward, Wisconsin. Contact us for a free consultation. Our expert legal services are available to you anywhere in the State of Wisconsin including but not limited to the counties of La Crosse, Trempealeau, Monroe, Pierce, Crawford, Vernon, Grant, Sawyer, Jackson or any other county in Wisconsin or in the state of Minnesota, including all counties surrounding La Crescent, MN, such as Houston and Winona and any other county.